• 4 cups fresh crickets
• 1 tablespoon peanut oil
• 5 hot dried chiles (tsin-tsin or arbol)
• 1 tablespoon garlic, sliced
• 1 tablespoon ginger, sliced
• 1 large shallot, sliced
• 2 tablespoons salted Chinese black beans
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 2 cups Chinese garlic chives, chopped
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons toban djan (hot chile fermented bean paste)
• 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Place the crickets in the freezer for 10 minutes.
Place wok over high heat for several minutes. Add oil and swirl, and when it’s aromatic and rippling add the hot chiles. Next add the garlic, ginger, shallot, black beans and brown sugar. Stir to combine then add the crickets. Toss for 90 seconds, then add the chives, soy sauce, toban djan and sesame oil. Toss a few more times as liquids evaporate and serve immediately.